Thursday, January 19, 2012

Get Out of Hell Free Card


You ever hear someone say, "I'll just repent when I'm on my deathbed"? I know I have, and I'm sure many of you have as well.

I grew up in a typical Italian Catholic neighborhood where everyone I knew went to Catholic School, a Catholic Church and generally lived what many would assume is the typical Catholic life. For many years growing up I just assumed this was the way it was meant to be. I didn't necessarily like going to church, I found it to be downright boring most of the time, but nevertheless I would go every Sunday morning with my Mom or Dad (parent's are divorced) and would just sit there until it finished. As I matured I started to go to church less and less, at first becoming a CNE Catholic (only going to church on Christmas and Easter) and then to my current state where I only go for special occasions. I have my reasons for my current church attendance (or lack-there-of) but I still very much consider myself a Catholic. I plan on raising my kids Catholic and will most likely start attending church regularly again when such a time comes.

I see my own religious cycle as a common cycle in society today, and one that my own parents and teachers have said they went through as well. This leads me to believe that for many Christian or Catholic children, they too go through the same cycle. Where I feel I differ from others is that I don't take the Catholic faith for granted, I know that I will have to work for God's acceptance when I return to the church. However, I feel that there are many in society today that disband from their faith and stay detached under the assumption that they can do whatever they want in life because on their deathbed they will be able to repent their sins to God and be welcomed into heaven as if nothing happened - a get out of hell free card.

This is something that I've always noticed but never really put much thought into. That is until this past week's lecture. To open the class we listened to 'Jesus Walks' by Kanye West. The song is describing how Kanye believes that Jesus is with everyone throughout their life no matter what they do, ready to forgive them and help them when they are in need, this is depicted a few times in the music video. For example, a Ku Klux Klan member is depicted carrying a burning cross on his back which in turn lights him on fire as well. This man is ultimately saved from a fiery death by a miraculous storm which douses the flames.

This belief of Jesus forgiving and helping anyone is also seen in the lyrics:

To the hustlers, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
(Jesus walks with them)

As can be seen, Kanye is stating that Jesus is walking with criminals and sinners under the belief that they will ultimately be saved when the time comes. This is a view that I feel has become common belief in popular culture as it can be seen in many other forms of media.

We don't have to look any further than the episode of The Simpsons which was also shown in lecture. In this episode entitled 'Homer the Heretic', Homer decided to no longer attend Church and instead live his life the way he wants. Homer believed that as long as he lived a good life it shouldn't matter if he went to church every Sunday. I am not going to be hypocritical here and judge Homer for his choice as I too am not currently going to Church for much of the same reason. However, there was one scene in which Homer and Lisa were walking in their backyard which changed my view on Homer's actions:

Lisa: Why are you dedicating your life to blasphemy?
Homer: Don't worry, sweetheart. If I'm wrong, I'll recant on my deathbed.

As I stated earlier, this is a prime example of the nook I feel popular culture is falling into when it comes to their faith. It was surely added to be satirical to all those who truly believe this, but in order to satirize something it has to be popular or it will not be funny. The Simpson's writers therefore do also acknowledge this incorrect yet popular belief of many and they too feel that it is not the correct way to view your faith. It is unfortunate that the satire of the scene will likely be lost on many, and instead the literal meaning will be what sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment